Just a note to say:
Do you guys want to talk about another movie that showed how family isn’t always who you’re related to!
And a Disney sequel, no less.
step one, discredit the witnesses. step two, introduce a new suspect.
step three, w e b u r y t h e e v i d e n c e .
Apparently it’s not socially acceptable for a man to invite another man out just for coffee or to go out for a meal, in case it’s perceived as a date. Like it’s fine if you wanna go to the pub and drink beer and have a chat but make it non-alcoholic and suddenly you’re not straight anymore? You can go to the cinema together but ONLY if it’s an action movie. You guys can’t even just go shopping with each other. Oh masculinity, so fragile, so strange.
Today in Solidarity (9.27.14): The Lost Voices campground since Mike Brown’s murder was ransacked by police… so petty. #staywoke #farfromover
Don’t know who the Lost Voices are yet? They’re the youth brigade on the frontlines of Ferguson, leading the fight for justice for Mike Brown. (Many of those tweets you see on my posts are from LV.) Yesterday, their campsite was raided without notice. These young leaders have been under constant attack from police since protests began, but yesterday was a clear intimidation move. Well guess what— Lost Voices will not be intimidated or stopped. Please make sure you’re showing them your love and support. Consider donating to their efforts today.
A list of the whitest things about me:
- insatiable urge to steal entire continents and maybe set up a few penal colonies
- limited dance repertoire
- a weakness for ikea furniture
Ferguson residents return for another day of protesting to find that overnight the police had ripped up their signs and threw them in the dumpster.
I might as well hand you the trophy right now, Miss Pratt. But I won’t. Not until I see how the rest of you step up your game.
Hehe equality right?
Do you not understand the purpose of this, or why the prices are what they are? Does this need to be explained to you?
Oh yea right, the famous “wage gap” between men and women that has been debunked tons of times! That sure is the right argument to fight sexism with!
Not debunked, misrepresented, as it is a complicated issue. It’s honestly more accurate to call it a PAY gap than a WAGE gap, since there are a myriad of factors at play here. Women DO, on average, make less money than men. That is indisputable, and the margins widen when you include factors of race, disability, and sexuality.
IF you would like some more in depth reading:
So yes, the bake sale above is a pretty simplistic little stunt about a complicated economic and social issue. But the fact that it pisses people off sort of makes its point for it.
Excellent primary sources for those concerned about sex based oppression/ how men continually benefit from female subjugation also I would really like one of those Vegan cupcakes
Ever want to reread a fanfic but you can’t remember the title? Here’s a Google trick that will change your life
Let’s say you’re looking for a Destiel fic that involved a trip to Costco and you read it on AO3. First thing you type in the Goggle search bar is
the site: tells Google that you only want it to search the AO3 website
Next, enter your search terms
costco dean cas
when you hit search Google will give you a list of all the pages on AO3 that contain the words you entered. All you have to do is click through the results until you find the fic you’re thinking of
It’s that easy. Now go find that fanfic you’ve been pining for
well dollskill was just taken off my list of all time favorite stores….
- The protests are being held in order to achieve universal suffrage in Hong Kong. Although democracy had been promised for 2017 in 2008, China announced this August that Hong Kong people would only be able to vote from a pool of 2-3 specially selected candidates (all of whom would definitely have pro-China sentiments)
- University students held a week-long boycott of classes to protest for true democracy in Hong Kong
- Today riot police were deployed against peaceful protesters. Equipped in full riot gear the police used pepper spray to deter the protesters, mainly students and youths but also some elderly people have reported being sprayed point blank
- It is estimated that over 50,000 people have joined the protest and this number continues to grow
- This is the largest political protest in Hong Kong since our independence from the UK in 1997
- Although the protests remain peaceful, police have now started to use tear gas and have brought out long guns loaded with rubber bullets (there hasn’t yet been a report of any bullets being shot)
- Over 80 arrests have been made including students as young as 16 for taking part in these protests
- They are cutting cell phone receptions in the protest area so that people can’t share any information
- Violence is increasing as police continue to instigate protesters
- All this comes right before the October 1st celebration of the 65th anniversary of founding of the People’s Republic of China
- There are rumours that the PLA (the Chinese army) are going to be brought into the city tonight
More facts about Hong Kong:
- We run under a one country, two systems policy with China meaning that we are part of China but have our own government and laws.
- Protests for universal suffrage have been held throughout the summer but these are the biggest yet
- Anti-China and anti-government sentiments are at their highest levels yet. Survey results showed that 1 in 5 people are thinking of emigrating from the city.
- In June, China issued a white paper essentially telling Hong Kong to remember their place and re-asserting their authority over the city
The scenes from the protest look awful. In my 17 years in Hong Kong I’ve never seen anything like it. The world needs to know about this and say something before we get a recurrence of the Tiananmen Square massacre.
I hope everyone stays safe. Hong Kong stay strong.